Matt and I had a lot of fun doing Episode 4 because it is about a subject we love — culture. Our culture at iThemes is one of the things we love so much about our jobs, and fiercely protect (for good reason).
Here are some of the questions we tried to address in this episode:
- The real question people ask is: How do you maintain such an awesome culture where really good people want to work with you?
- What the heck is “culture”?
- Share some examples of bad and good.
- Give some examples of both good and bad you’ve been a part of in the past?
- Could you describe your current culture?
- Describe the culture through the years – how has it changed/morphed?
- How important is a good culture to you?
- What are you most proud about it?
- What are some things you could improve?
- What are the benefits you’ve seen from having a good culture?
- What specific things have you done over the years to shape positive culture?
- You have in-office and remote team members – how do you shape culture with people in different places (in different time zones and even continents)?
- What stories do you tell most often?
- How do you maintain, guard, protect and grow it?
- You’ve hired and worked with personal friends AND family (moms and wives specifically). How has that been good and bad?
Here’s a preview of our next two podcast episodes:
- Episode 5 – Finding, Recruiting and Hiring the Best People, Part 1
- Episode 6 – Finding, Recruiting and Hiring the Best People, Part 2